2009 Year in Review
This was a very busy year at MOCAAPI. The Executive Committee would like to thank each and every member who have supported all our activities and made this into a special year for MOCAAPI. Here is a review of what all we were able to get to this year. We look forward to continue to serve you all in the upcoming new year as well. Please continue to provide us with your valuable input and criticism.
MOCAAPI 2009 Charitable Gala
This was held on November 14th at Shadowbrook in Shrewsbury. Please read the full report
on our website and check out the photo gallery
. The event raised $ 7000 in cash donations in addition to all the food donations for the benefit of The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties
. Your generosity would help feed more than 21,000 hungry people from our area during the holidays. We sincerely appreciate the support from our sponsors
and the Gala Committee on working so hard to make this happen.
Golf Outing 2009
On July 8th we had our second charitable golf outing
at Eagle Ridge Golf Club in Lakewood under the leadership of Dr. Vinay Sikand. It was attended by 100 golfers and helped add more than $ 15,000 to our charitable funds.
MOCAAPI is committed to our charitable mission
particularly in helping the local community and support the local charities. We organized three free health screening camps under the leadership of Dr. Akshay Patel, one each at Monmouth
and the Vraj temple
. Approximately 350-400 patients were screened and counseled for Hypertension, Diabetes, Hyperlipidemia, Vision and dental screenings. We would like to thank all volunteer physicians for their time and commitment on behalf of MOCAAPI.
The First Summer picnic
at the Holmdel Park was attended by 109 people (32 families) and was enjoyed by the kids and adults alike. We had a minimal loss of $ 368 on account of several no-shows. Thanks to Dr. Sandhya Patil, Dr. Neelu Jain-Lakhani, Minal Jain and Jyoti Gupta for doing a great job.
We have completely redesigned our website www.mocaapi.org. The new website is modeled after the AAPI website
. It offers a modern design and has a content management system for easy content management. In addition it offers us the opportunity to accept banner advertisements and earn revenue for our annual operating expenses. We have also relocated our website to the AAPI dedicated server and have saved on hosting costs.
Educational Dinner Meetings
We had a total of five educational dinner meetings
this year. The attendance in our meetings has also increased with some meetings attended by up to 90 people. We have been making sure that we start on time. We applaud everybody for helping us by sending your RSVP’s. This helps us in organizing better. With the change in the pharmaceutical sponsorship guidelines it has become challenging to attract sponsors. We might need to explore alternative sources to sponsor our meetings.
We had 14 annual members this year. We also added 28 new life members
to increase our life membership count to 95. This is a considerable commitment by our members and we appreciate their efforts
We have started to use our own MOCAAPI email addresses which makes it easy for members to communicate back with the office bearers.
The EC met four times during the year to plan and deliberate. Dr. Samir Jain has resigned from the EC at the end of this year because of other time commitments. We sincerely appreciate his active participation all during the year. Dr. Vikram Varma has kindly agreed to take up his position.
Plans for 2010
- Phase 2 of the website has been approved by the Executive Committee. This would add several new features:
- A secure member login module with several features related to that. Members could edit their own contact information and profiles only visible to paid members.
- Online searchable physician directory with both public and private sides.
- Credit Card acceptance for memberships and event registrations would be tried for a year
- Printed pocket size Physician directory of all physicians of Indian origin in Monmouth and Ocean counties
- Formation of a Legislative committee to keep members informed of healthcare legislation particularly at the state level and coordinate with other organizations in legislative efforts related to us. A separate local PAC is also being considered.
- Gala 2010: Encouraged by the response, we are planning to have it bigger and better with at least 300 people. Venue and dates are being actively explored.
- Summer Picnic in August. Drs. Jai Mirchandani and Rajat Kapoor have already started to plan for it.
- Golf Outing 2010: We are looking at dates in May or July 2010
- Dinner Meetings: We would try to invite some guest speakers to our meetings to improve our relationships with hospital administrations, local legislators and officials and other physician organizations in our area
- Charitable Mission: continue with our charitable mission to support the local charities and our community
How can you help?
- Participate in all events
- Register for events by deadlines. Avoid no shows at all cost
- Volunteer to help or lead in organizing one event or activity
- Sign up for membership if you are not already a patron member
- Update your contact information particularly your email
- Help us connect with other Indian physicians in the area
- Advertise with us: Help us connect with potential advertisers for our website
WISHING YOU ALL HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM MOCAAPI
Executive Committee of MOCAAPI
Anil K Gupta, MD, President
Jayesh Parikh, MD, Vice President
Sumul Raval, MD, Secretary
Tarun Bhandari, MD, Treasurer
Vinod Sancheti, MD, Chair, Board of Trustees